Yesterday I was out shopping with my friend Des and I remarked that is getting tougher to buy makeup & nail polish because there aren’t a lot of colours that I don’t already have. Champagne problems, right?
Of course, now that I’ve said that, I am seriously interested in super-saturated colour that I have no way of getting my hands on in this small city. In fact, this town is so small that I couldn’t pull off anything like this without getting some serious “you are a total weirdo” type attention. Maybe I need to throw some parties?
One of the things I am interested in terms of “doing” femme is discarding the notion that makeup is supposed to look “natural” or “conceal flaws” or make your face look closer to some sort of pimple free pale white ideal. What better way to do that with bejewelled eyebrows? Or blue lipstick?
This is one of those rare times when I wish I could just pull this exact outfit out of my closet. It’s everything I love all at once. The cobalt lipstick! The crystal jewellery! The pink cat-eyes! But most importantly, the shorts.
Goddamn those shorts. Chartreuse lace. So cheap from Forever 21. So totally sold out of my size.
Here is my pal Ashleigh also wearing the shorts. Isn’t that outfit perfect? We were really hoping that we could each have a pair and then we could hang out together while matching and having ruffled fluorescent bums. BUT OF COURSE the shorts are sold out online. She even went back to her F21 to check for me, because internet friends are the best EVER. Still, she suggested I crowdsource my dilemma:
Femmes gotta stick together! I totally believe in the power of the internet femme shopping network and feel hopeful that you will be the owner of beautiful lacy shorts soon.
So, femme internet shopping network:
Have any of you seen these shorts in your local F21? In a L or XL? Would any of you wanna ship them to my tiny Ontario town? I will pay you back! Or, does anyone wanna help me make some knock-offs? My booty is lacking in ruffles.
On the lipstick front, I plan to (someday) get some of this OCC Lip Tar in Cyan. Um, and flamingo. And femme (natch!) And demure! And… oh man, my wallet is gonna hurt. My internet femmes rave about this lip goop and internet friends are never wrong.
I think I’m still coming down off the high of hanging out with all my BFFs in the big city. What lovely people! I’m already thinking about when I will be able to go back. This week has been pretty relaxed but also super nice.
- It’s pretty obvious but… I have new hair, again! Rebecca actually got my hair to be a sort of iridescent midnight blue, and tightened up my bowl cut/undercut. I think I’m going to stick with this for a long, long time. Unexpected upside: dark hair takes way longer to look greasy. Thx Bloodline!
- Spent a sunny day this week tidying up my yard. Getting ready for some front porch reading (okay, drinking!) and backyard campfires.
- I finally found a subletter for my apartment. Sam is a friend of a friend of a friend who I think will quickly become my friend too. He loves dogs but I think he might just have met his match…
- Last night Desiree was my date to the 50/50 Gala at Artspace. Wishing we had taken some outfit photos… she came home with an awesome Lucky Jackson embroidery. I ended up being very, very tipsy after two drinks because the only thing I ate all day was some of those tiny grocery store cinnamon donuts. #femmeproblems (Also I think Lucky was shopping in the store this week and I only realized where I recognized her from after she left! I am a nerd. Wish I had been able to introduce myself!)
- At work we’ve had lots of mother/daughter prom dress shopping! I have fond memories of doing this with my own mom. I love the idea of having a vintage dress! I never went to my prom, but I did go to my high school boyfriend’s prom. I wore black (duh!)
- This Femme Flagging idea has really taken off. There’s now a tumblr to show off your nails and also a forum where some folks are discussing the possibility of a standardized system of femme flagging codes…
- Have been watching a lot of Buffy & X-Files episodes thanks to some peer pressure from Bridget and Natalie. I noticed that a side-effect of my anxiety meds is that I can now tolerate mildly suspenseful television without being scared for weeks! I am fully indulging some serious Netflix-induced 90s brooding TV.
- Tonight for dinner I am going to eat some of these stuffed portobello mushroom caps. Pinterest has been very helpful in finding me more “roasted vegetables + cheese” dinner ideas. Is my life exciting or what?
I joked that last weekend was basically a “Bossy Femme Conference” – I was so excited to see all my recently-departed Toronto friends, but being able to put two of my closest, smartest, brightest femme inspirations & collaborators in the same place at the same time was a true delight. Julia and Claire didn’t really live in Ptbo at the same time so their budding love affair (uh, maybe that’s my wishful thinking) happened mostly on tumblr. UNTIL NOW.
We basically shopped our faces off. Julia and I scored huge at this new-ish store on Queen W. called “Kind Exchange” which had Sympathy-style pricing in the city. Then we probably looked at every single dress in Kensington market. Twice.
We spent an evening at our friend James’ wedding. Floral dress code? No problem.
I felt really, really lucky to be able to stay at such a welcoming TO home base. I want to visit every single weekend. Somehow in a little over a month, my pals have created the coziest place to be. I got to watch Kate and Agata garden and eat enormous super-deluxe vegan meals. Their apartment is bright and beautiful and spacious – I didn’t know you could have this kind of lifestyle in the city, but I’m so glad to know it’s out there.
PS: If you wanna be internet friends with my friends, check their links on my blog roll, too.
This afternoon I stumbled across Cleanlinez’ tumblr post about using nail polish as an updated hanky code for femmes and I just wanted to signal boost it. The photo has so many unrelated notes and this is too smart to get lost in the shuffle. I want to capture some of this conversation for posterity!
an alternative to the hankie code where painting a specific fingernail/color would serve to “flag” in a similar way… and you don’t need pockets (solves my whole flagging-whilst-wearing-a-dress problem).
I thought about some femme langourously stretching their hands over a bar to show off their ring finger “flags” and swooned a little inside.
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! I used to paint my “fucking fingers” differently than my others for ~*femme viz*~ for a while. I should go back to that <3
For the uninitiated, the hanky code originated in queer cruising culture and is basically the idea that you wear a different coloured hanky to signify certain kinks. My nail polish collection is absolutely larger than my stash of hankies, & I love the idea of adding some functionality to the trendiness of elaborate nail designs. I also like the idea that there are already some queered femme manicures out there. Checking out a person’s hands is one of my fav things to do.
Here’s some things I’d flag (or, should that be finger?)
- Feelings top
- Late night snacking
- Knitting in bars
- Drinking in high heels
- Feminist makeupping
- Long distance romance texts
- Femme family
- Puppy cuddler
- Big spooner
- Moustache makeouts
This weekend was the nicest! I got to visit all my BFFs in Toronto, including Julia! Tonight I have just a few teaser photos for you:
Colin Medley took some video of the Nick Ferrio & His Feelings/Marine Dreams/Woolly Leaves/Baby Eagle show at the Dakota this week. I could tell you about how great it was, probably you should just click “play” and see for yourself.