Customer of the day at my favourite coffee spot.
- My favourite summertime coffee spot made me Customer of the Day the other day. Normally this happens because it is your birthday. But it was not my birthday! It was a beautiful surprise, especially coming across a quote like “The most beautiful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire” & realizing that anyone would relate it to you.If you want to read the whole thing you can click to make the photo bigger – but I have to say that the recognition of my politics AND fashion sense together meant something so big to me. Making a home in this city for the summer without my best friends & partner has been hard – it is nice to have such an overt demonstration of welcome. Bless the Silver Bean & their grand gestures – and my friend Stephanie whose idea I’m sure this was.
- I love Dinosaur Comics but I especially like this comic about, well, pals. Pretty much sums up my life philosophy.
“Mathematics” collage by Ben Giles
- Today is Father’s Day & I love my weirdo dad. He has had my back my entire life & I am forever grateful. Lots of my friends don’t have great relationships with their dads & I know just how great I’ve got it.
- Here’s hoping that you’re all finding a way to celebrate the dads and … *ahem* daddies… in your lives. Lots of love to those celebrating chosen families, close friends, or who are in what my pal calls the “Dead Dads Club.”
- Yesterday was Peterborough’s version of Worldwide Knit in Public Day & it ruled. I could only stay for about 45mins but it was rad to be outside in the sunshine with knitters of all ages & backgrounds & interests. Looking at the official website I found meetups happening truly globally & I got a little bit sentimental thinking about that.
Roswell: Not Just For Aliens yarn by Indigodragonfly
- As part of the day I was able to buy some Indigodragonfly ”Unicorn Sock” yarn which has glitter spun into it! You know I am into that. I’ve also been appreciating Kim’s posts about the “name that yarn” fundraiser she did last weekend for breast cancer research. The combination of beautiful yarn & heartfelt stories & funny names is really worth checking out. See all the yarn and all the stories on the Indigodragonfly blog.
- Did some more knitting-in-public after work with some friends & beers on a sunny patio, which is my favourite thing to do basically ever.
My new low budget glasses are the jam.
- Had an eye exam on Monday & my new glasses showed up in the mail on Friday. They are from Clearly Contacts & their first pair free deal meant that I spent about $35, but could have spent less. This deal is basically why all my broke & uninsured friends are able to see properly & I am grateful for that shiz. I really like everything about that site & especially the part where you upload a photo of yourself so that you can see how everything looks on your face. Scrolling past hundreds of photos of yourself in different glasses-disguises is super surreal. If you want to get glasses for yourself and you want to also help me get $20 store credit you can buy using this referral link: Clearly Contacts basically rules.
- My virgo BFF took the time to do my chart at the bar last night. Much giggling about astrology.
- Today I am going to see my fam & tomorrow it is city-full-of-best-friends day. Can’t contain my excitement.