Good Things: Feminist Makeupping
- Had an after-hours hair colour & girltalk party with Rebecca at Bloodline this week. Bleached out my hair, dyed it copper, & added turquoise (for oxidization realness.)
- BONUS: My BFF Lauren had booked a late-night appt with Jess so we got to hang. Thx universe for organizing that one. & thx to Bloodline for taking such good care of our heads.
- Still thinking about the imagery in 3 Women. Bodhi Wind’s murals & desert bars & girls with guns.
- Went on an Olympics-and-knitting date with Sasha and Bridget. We got to eat lattice fries & say hey to Carly. Somehow we walked out with a gift certificate because one of the managers felt like sports bar knitting was that awesome. It is, duh. We will totally be back.
- Feeling awfully nervous & excited for vacation time next week. Life is about to get extra special & then when I get home everything will be different. Wondering about new routines & fall friends. I’m so happy I am gonna puke.
- You checked out @HulkStuMcLean this week right? Vinyl Cafe will never be the same. Also, @KimKierkegaard? Some days you just need a fake celebrity twitter meme. Actually, that Kim Kardashian/Soren Kierkegaard mashup is maybe closer to the inside of my brain than I’ll admit. Fashion-interested philosophy major over here:
When I was very young, a barb of sorrow was lodged in my heart. I wanted everything short and low-cut. My look’s a little sleeker now. -Kim Kierkegaardashian
- Started a new knitting project now that the nights have been cooler & it feels so right.
- Taco & beers night with my roommate. Have been generally having a lot of great talks with my pals lately. I love the free-and-easy funtimes as much as anything but bonding over big feelings & great ideas & perfect advice has been just what I needed.
- Teresa’s post, “Make-up: My Bane and Saviour” is just so good:
Queer make up isn’t always neat, natural, and pretty; it can also be trial-and-error, freaky, and totally unnatural. It’s like, I love blue and yellow, I should wear them all the fucking time, so why not put it on my fucking face??? And in queers’ fearlessness in pushing the boundaries of aesthetics, I am finally starting to feel like I can “come out” with my make up-obsessing self. In their confidence that is fueled by risky boldness, there is so much to appreciate and to take delight in.
- No clue if I will update again until the after I get back. In case I don’t, I leave you with this: