Committing to taking more outfit posts because lately I have been looking in my closet and thinking to myself “WHAT THE FUCK, DUDE.” I am like, “I wore clothes last summer right? What was I doing?” I hate summer dressing and I dunno how to do it. Gonna try to document this year’s attempts at clothes so that next year I remember.
Solidified my lifetime commitment to pretty flowers with this new tattoo by blog crush/livejournal pal descended-from-Salem-witches tattooer Alice Carrier. I never really thought I would be able to get tattooed by her so having an opportunity to road trip from Seattle to Portland to get zapped was more or less a dream come true.
My roommate bought this dress on clearance on H&M and gave it to me because she couldn’t figure out how to wear it. I feel that – it is polyester and the proportions are weird. I am definitely gonna alter it myself somehow because it doesn’t totally go with my whole skin-tight and short vibe but I wanted to try wearing it once as-is before I do. Gonna make it work tho because there is this whole psychedelic vagina dentata roses and thorns thing happening.
Couldn’t get it all in one cell phone selfie but this outfit involves not one not two but THREE floral items. How to do pattern mixing: just wear the same thing all over your body.
You know how fb just added a weather forecast to its events listings? I want that for blogs so hard because yeah, I hope these entries help future me get dressed. Today started out sunny and humid and I was so overdressed but then there was an epic thunderstorm and now it is cloudy and this shit is just right.
I thought I was hungover but it turns out I just hadn’t had any coffee yet. Let’s do this thing.
- I have the day off today and my plan is basically just to make things & also go to the library my life is the best life.
- Wearing a bunch of colour (for me) to combat the fact that somehow, IT IS STILL WINTER. Dudes, I am over it, and I am ready to be on a patio now.
- My sweater is coming along so great. It’s pretty major actually. I am really excited to be turning into a person who can make sweaters.
- My babe Elliott and I went to go see that babe SOLANGE KNOWLES this weekend. Possibly the most stylish audience I’ve seen at a show. Solange was as regal and beautiful and fun and stunning as you could hope for… and she covered Selena. It was killer. I mean just listen to her sing. How is she real?
- Coffee! Coffee! I love you, coffee.
- Makin’ new friends who wanna go with me to rock and roll shows is AWESOME. The fact that they are girl friends for once is also AWESOME. Getting post-show pizza is ESPECIALLY AWESOME. For real tho, I am pretty sure there was gender parity in the crowd for a garage rock show last night, pretty mind blowing. Now if only we could get some gender parity on the stage too. (Is there like a genderqueer etc. – inclusive version of this term? Because there should be.)
- Internet babe bought a round of drinks for me and my ‘ladies of rock and roll’ posse last night. Paypal, aww! INTERNATIONAL TECH-ENABLED KINDNESSES. If that’s not the best good thing I don’t even know what is. The future is here and I like it.
- At the bar they were playing Conan the Barbarian which has GRACE JONES in it & I just wanted to mention GRACE JONES in all caps. GRACE. JONES.
- I missed last Sunday’s post because I was in PUPPY HEAVEN. Geraldine was my Valentine’s Date & that date lasted all weekend long basically and one night I fell asleep holding her paw and we walked all over the city and I told her I loved her over and over and I fed her a billion treats and she is my favourite.
- Also last weekend was Gretchen’s FOURTH BIRTHDAY PARTY. We blew up some balloons & took some selfies together. I leave you with this epic mirror photo:
Last week my bff Rebecca spent many, many hours of loving labour with some bleach & some more bleach and some dye and some other dye & she is an artist and my hair is purple & I just love her & it feels nice to be a brightly coloured thing in the winter again.
White! Grey! Leopard! Knits! Can’t resist backlit photos in front of my enormous windows. These grey tights are merino wool & make skirts in the winter totally doable. Leopard dress is absolutely an all-season wardrobe staple.
Kinda love being totally monochromatic except for my hair & lipstick. Something fun & kinda tough about these totally unnatural pops of colour. I think I was being a bit inspired by this white & grey & knits outfit from this week’s Hel-Looks.
Forever reppin’ something that my brother Reilly made for me. Initial pin circa mid-2000s.
Tomorrow I am moving
to a new apartment with a brand new roommate. I found out on Tuesday that I could move Sunday. Talk about last minute! But since I am at work & physically cannot continue with the packing, here I am, bloggin’.
I am currently figuring the logistics of how to get packing materials back to my apartment. I had planned on taking a cab, but there is going to be a Santa Claus motherfucking parade running directly between where I am now and where I need to go. Tomorrow’s forecast is calling for rain, which I am crossing my fingers does not turn into freezing ice rain of death or whatever.
Anyway, I have been taking a break from Feelings & Stress to occasionally think about how nice it will be to have my very own room! With lots of big windows! & a closet! (& a fantastic amount of builder-grade broadloom carpet…) & apartment-white walls…
I have a theory that apartment-rental white looks great if you have good light…which I should! I also think that white should be a good backdrop for the texture-heavy living space I want to create.
So many windows, so many opportunities to knit some curtains. If it feels like the whole room is one big sweater, I will consider that a success.
Just ordered this print to arrive at my new address. Stars! Pals! Okay.
This blanket is baby-size but I love these colourwork crosses & maybe I will make myself some cross pillows.
Another “to my new address” order – doily coasters in black and natural from Uncommon. Fancy!
Living in a pet-free house will be super sad but the upside is that wool-felted housewares are not automatically furball magnets. Please picture these felted bowls in some sort of grey, black, & navy ombre because duh.
Sweater rug. Sweater everything. Houndstooth 4 life.
Planning to stick with a black/white/grey/wood colour scheme with hopefully so many plants! Someone teach me to take care of plants! I have found that even looking at pictures of plants makes me feel better from a Seasonal Affective Disorder perspective… almost the same way that looking at pictures of kittens does. Is that weird? Anyway, plant budget is gonna happen.
Not pictured: massive leopard print rug to cover all that ugly broadloom. I can’t even conceptualize how much that would cost, but now that I have stated my wishes in writing this object will just manifest itself in my life, right? C’mon universe, bring me some stylin’ floor coverings.
Okay babes. Wish me luck tomorrow!
I need to remember that I have been writing these posts for years because they work in a depression-alleviating way. They are not for generating page views or comments or for posting cute photos. So this week I am going to write a Good Things post and actually post it - even though this hasn’t been an especially good week.
- This week I worked a lot. Probably too much. But considering how stressful it is to be un(der)employed, I am going to stay happy about this. My jobs both allow me to: wear what I like, pick my own music, work by myself, spend a lot of downtime looking at fashion blogs, & hang out with customers who are in relax-mode. Those are all huge plusses that I would miss if I was doing other work.
- I am finding that, at least for the moment, my body will tell me what it needs to feel better. This self-knowledge is a huge gift. Thx brain for telling me to go for walks, cuddle a dog, go to bed early, find something to laugh about.
- Shopping for natural perfume samples online. I think I enjoy this so much because it is such an imaginative exercise – shopping virtually for something that isn’t actually visible. I can be pretty scent-sensitive (& I know others can be too) but good smells are a real source of calm & comfort, too. Thinking of doing an order from Illuminated Perfume - if you’re near me & want to share shipping, get at me.
- Had an early-morning friend date with my pal Rebecca this week which included huge coffees, a spontaneous gift exchange, and a big heart to heart. Seriously, that woman’s heart is enormous. Feeling thankful for her & for people like her in my life. Also it is the best starting out the day relaxing with a friend. Want to do that way more.
- Drank many beers with Elliott this week. We laughed. Thx for being a crucial part of my post-work anti-stress system.
- Yesterday I was supposed to meet my BFF Bridget for tea but was too tired to leave the couch. She indulged me with a real talk text message hangout. Virtual friendship means never having to get out of your pajamas. But actual tea will happen soon, I think.
- I have tomorrow off after working a six day week. I am going to celebrate by buying a pumpkin and putting it on the porch. Domestic life 4 ever.
- My roommate keeps ordering pizza and I keep eating the last few slices. We aren’t even fighting! Lucky. Also, I treated myself to my favourite ever mac and cheese from the best veg restaurant across the street from work & it was delicious, duh. CHEESE.
- Working on a new knitting project that I have ripped out twice already. Third time’s the charm, yes? I am looking forward to getting it just right.
- My parents are just the best. Once as a tween my dad read a livejournal post in which I flippantly wrote, “I hate my parents.” Dear everyone: my parents are just like absolute gems & I am lucky that they raised me.
- Also, my friend Scott is a writer who you should be reading.
That was a summer which turned out a joyful rage and all its costs of aches in the morning and slow sips of recovery. Rage does not make you strange to yourself, I think, but it is yourself finding what is already there and strange within. It is a foamy realization and fulfillment of absence. You can clench its taste on your back teeth. – Upon my Breath